|4H & FFA Scarecrow Contest
Scarecrow entries must be registered October 1, 2017. There is a limited number of
Check-in will be Saturday, October 14th from 9 am to 2 pm and Sunday, October 15th from
2 pm to 5 pm.
A copy of the online registration will be required to check-in for competition.
1. It is the exhibitors’ responsibility to read and abide by Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair
General rules and this competition rules.
2. The Scarecrow Contest is open to active Junior and Senior 4-H and FFA Teams
(Grades 7-12, from Bryan, Bulloch, Evans, Candler, Tattnall, Jenkins & Screven Counties).
No more than 5 members per team.
3. This year’s Fair theme is 57 Years of Farming and Family Fun. Displays should
reflect the theme but is not a requirement.
4. Only one entry per school/chapter.
5. Entries should be free standing. A 2” x 2” T form 5’ tall will be required as support of
the scarecrow(s). The form is to be used as the skeleton of the scarecrow. Points will be
deducted for pre-made forms attached to the frame. Design and basic building may be
done before arriving at the fairgrounds.
6. Area for display will be roughly 3’ x 3’.
7. Teams will draw a number upon check-in. This number will coordinate with display
spot. Small sign with team’s school/chapter is required in display.
8. Old clothes may be used but purchased costumes are prohibited.
9. Scarecrows should be lovable not frightening. Use of copyrighted or trademarked
characters or logos are not allowed. This includes but not limited to TV, Movie, Video, etc.
characters. The used of the 4-H and FFA emblems are allowed. Originality is highly
10. No electricity will be available. Use of battery powered drills and screwdrivers is
11. Items that can be used as weapons will not be allowed on display.
12. Dried non-perishable agricultural products may be used (corn stalks, peanuts,
gourds, cotton, potted plants/flowers for example). Fall harvest produce such as pumpkins
or winter squash may be used but if they show signs of decay during the Fair they will be
removed. No carved pumpkins will be allowed. No artificial produce or flowers may be
13. Keep in mind scarecrows will be displayed outside and exposed to weather and
public. The Kiwanis Ogeechee Fair or the Kiwanis Club of Statesboro will not be
responsible for loss or damage of any items of value in the scarecrow displays.
Scarecrows will not be removed until Sunday, October 15th between 2 pm and 5 pm. Area
must be cleaned before leaving or prize money will be forfeited. Any Scarecrow left on the
grounds after 5 pm will be discarded and prize money forfeited.
Prize money will be mailed to advisor.
Prize money for each division
Any questions please contact Debra Pease 912-682-7824, 912-587-2388 or email